Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Doodle 190 - Captains log

We are still marooned in a luxury ship, the meals are gigantic and we might not make it back into the pants we came in with... we might need to break out the sweatpants... lord help us...

So much food... why, oh whyyyy did we do this?
Is everybody drawing? Draw people draw! Suffer with meee! Hahaha... ah, yeah... aaanyway, today the competition will be about sea shanties. Don't worry, you don't have to compose one (but you can if you want, I have no idea how to), all you need to do is research them and find your favorite, then post it in the comments (if you find a youtube video of it the better so we can all hear it), then I will pick my favorite of the bunch as a winner.

If there are duplicates of my favorite I will do a coin toss.

UPDATE:
This was a busy day, but I got a bunch of stuff done since it was our only sea day and I decided to go Mermaid crazy:


A crew member came by as I sat on the deck chair drawing this and let me know he had tripped while walking by and noticing my drawing. Thankfully he didn't fall overboard.

3 comments:

MichelleH said...

Being from Nova Scotia and loving all things nautical, I had a hard time, but I think Barrett's Privateers by Stan Rogers is the best. He composed it, but it feels like a true aged classic, and it's a great sing-along favourite at concerts. :) I've got here first a version with the lyrics, and then a live version.
http://youtu.be/UMV34CwNMY0
http://youtu.be/IfZMVHkMH3Y

Andrea said...

What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor has to be my all time favorite.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate, there was some issue with my first post, instead of asking me to login- it did something weird.)

Marebabe said...

Well, I didn’t even have to think about it. I instantly knew that I had to share Dan Fogelberg’s “The Reach”. Here’s the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEL_qqXGjHU

Like all good sea chanties, this one is in 6/8 time. But THIS one features the occasional ringing of a ship’s bell, which I love. And Saudade, when you watch the video, every time the “Siren sings” in the chorus, the beautiful images of the Sirens might serve as inspiration for your drawings. Keep an eye out for them. They’re just gorgeous!

I hope you and Andrei are having the time of your lives on this once-in-a-lifetime vacation.