Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Doodle 056 - Yaaaay! or Happy Birthday Jim Henson

Yesterday I had the idea of drawing something Muppet related to honor Jim Henson's birthday, but my low attention span and work got the best of me and I totally forgot, hence why I am a day late with this post.

So, happy belated birthday Jim!

Yaaaaaaaaay! - Blue and mechanical pencil on plain Moleskine notebook. Aprox 10 mins.
Ah gotta love Kermit, curious side note: Andrei's voice sometimes sounds like Kermit on the phone and he makes a great Rainbow Connection rendition when he feels like it LOL.

Growing up I was a huge fan of Sesame Street, The Fraggles and The Muppet Show. Yup, they were wildly popular both in Mexico and Spain and I really can't imagine my childhood without them.

I was very young when we moved to Spain and I was shocked to discover the Spaniard version of Sesame Street or Plaza Sesamo (Barrio Sesamo in Spain) as we called it, was oddly different from the Mexican one... and once I moved to the U.S. I discovered the original U.S. version was also different from both the Mexican and Spaniard one.

I am sure a bunch of you know this, but Sesame Street was adapted to different countries for cultural purposes, while most of you had Big Bird, in Mexico we had Abelardo, who happens to be Big Bird's cousin:

(In this video you can see the Mexican version of Big Bird, here he is talking about how much he misses his cousin Big Bird and the elderly gent is suggesting he writes him a letter)

And then, in Spain they had a big departure from Big Bird and had 2 "Big" characters, Don Pimpon and Espinete. It was so weird to me since I had grown with a big colorful bird and then, my baby brother grew up only knowing a giant pink hedgehog:

(Don Pimpon is the big guy with the hat, Espinete is the giant pink hedgehog, I can't believe it but I remember watching this episode so clearly. Ah childhood memories!)

Funny isn't it? I know a lot of you guys are from all over the world, did your versions of Sesame Street have really different characters too?

3 comments:

amanda said...

Ah, the street! One of my favorite ways to kill a few minutes (or a couple of hours) is to go on youtube and watch classic sesame street sketches. And songs. And cartoons. Ladybug's Picnic, the yup-yup-yup-yup-yup aliens, Kermit's 'frog-on-the-street' reporter bits... Okay, now I need to go to youtube!

Christina RN LMT said...

I was already 9 when I moved to Germany, so a bit old for Sesame Street. Plus I wasn't fluent in German for a few years. But I do recall that the German version ("Sesamstrasse")did have some of its own characters, yet still had Big Bird, called "Bibo," I believe, and Grover was "Grobi"! Now I have to go to Wikipedia...thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Brooke said...

I love Kermit! And I'm glad I married a guy who is good at imitating his voice, too. (My husband actually recorded the answering machine as Kermit for his family when he still lived at home.) It makes me happy when a guy can sound like Kermit. =)

I didn't realize there were so many different Sesame Street characters in other countries - interesting!