Thursday, September 13, 2012

Doodle 044 - Nearly floating

Is everybody ready for Friday? This week has gone by rather fast, mostly because work has been as busy as ever, but I count that as a good thing.

I really didn't have a direction to start drawing today, so I sort of just let the pencil take the lead on my first doodle:

Nearly Floating - Blue and mechanical pencil on plain Moleskine notebook. No references used. Aprox 15 mins.
Sometimes just letting the shapes take seems to work.

After that I decided to sketch a dress by costume designer Eiko Ishioka that I had seen on my Pinterest feed a couple of days ago. I thought it was lovely, so I added a bit of a character to wear it:

Original gown by Eiko Ishioka.
Princess Bride - Blue and mechanical pencil on plain Moleskine notebook. Aprox 15 mins.
Alright! I am off to bed, I have been a bit insomniac lately, so I'll try to get some decent sleep in today.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

I love your costume drawings, the flow and drape of the fabric...beautiful!

Mrsblocko said...

I love the way you drew the hair underwater. I always think hair looks so neat when it's underwater. You did wonderful at capturing that in sketch.

Marebabe said...

Hiya! Like you, I am captivated by that gorgeous gown by Eiko Ishioka. This is obviously the back view. Is it available to see the front of it? Maybe on Pinterest? I would appreciate any leads. I did a quick Google search of some of her work, and I had no idea she had done the costumes for so many movies that I love!

Drawing Saudade said...


@Victoria: Thanks! I need to do more detail, I used to hate drawing cloth, but I got better with practice. @Mrsblocko: Me too, I am a swimmer, so I really love to draw things underwater. @Marebabe: I also pinned a detail of the front and then did some digging to see what the source of the pin was... all I found was this: http://moniquill.tumblr.com/post/31281717114/berkkam-costume-designer-eiko-ishioka Hope it helps! on

Marebabe said...

Holy cow, the close-up details of this IMPERIAL gown took my breath away and made my socks roll up and down! And I still haven’t even seen the neckline of this richly embroidered confection. Maybe someday I’ll be watching a movie and suddenly recognize this stunningly beautiful dress. Thanks for sharing. :)