Saturday, September 22, 2012

Doodle 053 - Fairy Tales (part 1)

Wow! So many cool suggestions yesterday/today. I might have to draw them all, really.

Today I was able to sleep way more than I have in the past 2 weeks. As an average I have been getting about 3 to 4 hours a day, this has made me rather sadder and more tired than usual, plus more prone to migraines.

Needless to say, today I feel much better, but as a side effect of finally relaxing I was very lazy and barely did anything of significance. To be sincere, I finally sat down to draw at about 7 p.m., which is late for me any day and specially late on a weekend and I didn't set foot outside at all.

It has been a weird week anyway, but it ended in quite a sweet note. A good friend, Amy, wrote an incredibly sweet entry on her blog about me. It reminded me, yet again, of what an incredible collection of wonderful friends I have managed to meet over the years.

I keep saying this, but it is true, I just don't know what I have done to deserve such wonderful people in my life. The sole fact that I managed to find Andrei, for example, over all the thousands of miles across us was an amazing oddity on its own, but as I have grown and worked I have met people that have touched my life in so many great ways, encouraged me and welcomed me into their lives as if I had always been part of them. Truly remarkable, isn't it?

Anyway, sappy moments aside, here are today's Fairy Tale drawings. I had to do some research on some of them since I hadn't heard of these characters before, or I had heard of them, but forgotten them overtime. So, in no particular order, here they are:

First off, Red Riding Hood. She was a very popular choice! I steampunked her some as well, partly by request, partly by personal preference lol. She carries her own ax, and she surely knows how to use it. The vials on her belt hold different potions/enchantments to guard off malicious wooden spirits.

Red Riding Hood - Blue pencil and mechanical pencil on plain Moleskine notebook. Aprox 20 mins.
Next up is Aladdin's Genie, as I worked on it and took a quick picture I realized it looks a little bit like Andrei, lol I thought that was funny anyway.

Aladdin's Genie - Blue and mechanical pencil on plain Moleskine notebook. Aprox 10 mins.
I had never heard of Jack Spratt and his wife, but thanks to google I found out they are from a nursery rime. I love learning new things/stories, so that was fun.

Jack Spratt and Wife - Blue and mechanical pencil on plain Moleskine notebook. Aprox 10 mins.

And finally (for today), Scheherazade. I had heard of her before, maybe by another name (I read Fairy Tales like I breathed air as a kid), but I had forgotten about her completely until I researched and remembered. She is proof that being well read and shrewd can save your life.

Scheherazade reading a book - Blue and mechanical pencil on plain Moleskine notebook. Aprox 10 mins.

Ah that was fun for today. Don't worry, I have actually started on the villains (Rumplestitskin and Baba Yaga for example) and have ideas for the rest of the suggestions I have received. Once again I want to thank everybody for your input, as the weeks go by on this project I am beginning to feel more creative and drawing is becoming easier to do.

6 comments:

Nomi said...

Always amazing what flows from your fingers. ^o^

Moonlup said...

I love your work. It's such a pleasure to stop by each day and see what new art has sprung up. Thanks for the bright spot in my day.
^_^

Running Betty said...

I love that your genie looks like Andrei. I totally thought that before I read your comment saying the same.
Brian once called us "Jack Spratt but backwards" to someone. I wasn't sure what he meant, or if I should be insulted. Turns out he meant I always want to eat healthy and he wants to eat pizza rolls and bacon. He survived to love me another day ;)

MichelleH said...

If I were really crafty, I would totally cosplay that steampunk Red Riding Hood. :)

Melissa said...

Um... totally lovin steampunk Red!!

Ronda C. said...

I knew you would do something amazing with RR Hood. I love that you steampunked her! She is a cool little apothecary woman.